National Pingtung University of Education (NPUE) is located in Pingtung, the county seat of the southernmost of Taiwan's 19 counties. With a population of over 900,000, Pingtung is a bustling marketing and industrial center. Pingtung County is one of Taiwan's major zones of agricultural production, yielding rice and other produce enjoyed throughout the island. Pingtung has a justifiable reputation as a lush and prosperous region.
The history of National Pingtung University of Education extends to the Japanese colonial period when it was initiated as a facility to provide rudimentary teacher training. After Taiwan's restoration to the Republic of China in 1945, NPUE continued to function as a training facility and was later promoted from a 5-year junior college to a 4-year provisional teachers college. In 1991, the college came under the jurisdiction of the national government, and its name was changed to reflect the new status within the constellation of colleges and universities in Taiwan. Then on August 1st, 2005, the school changed its name to National Pingtung University of Education as an institution that yields students with a diverse vision and cultivates outstanding scholarship in each field.